On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 9:00a.m., North Ward Councilwoman Marge Caldwell-Wilson, members of Team Red, White & Blue of the MDL Joint Base, members from VFW-Lodge 7298, A Better Way, Scott Miller and his team from Exit7A, and volunteers will gather at Trenton’s Battle Monument for a day-long effort to restore the reserve by collecting trash, clearing overgrown grass, weeds, re-staining benches, and repairing chain fencing.
Last year Caldwell-Wilson purchased a new, weather resistant flag and secured private funding to repair the monument’s flagpole.
The monument commemorates the American victory at the first Battle of Trenton, NJ, which occurred on December 26, 1776.
The Trenton Battle Monument is located in an area of the city known as “Five Points.” It was here, at the intersection of North Broad Street, Warren Street and Brunswick, Pennington and Princeton Avenue, that the American artillery was placed. From this vantage point, the artillery dominated the streets of Trenton, preventing the Hessian troops from organizing an effective counter attack.