Three seats will be on the ballot for the 2022 Hopewell Valley Regional School District Board of Education when election time comes around in November. The terms of Deborah Linthorst and Debra O’Reilly, who represent Hopewell Township, and Jenny Long, who represents Pennington, are up and petitions to file to run for those seats are due soon. Linthorst and O’Reilly are both serving their first term. Long has been on the Board since 2016.
Interested candidates must file an Individual Filing Nominating Petition or Joint Filing Nominating Petition and return it to the Mercer County Clerk’s office by 4pm on July 26, 2021. For more information, you can go to the School Board Association website here.
Pursuant to the May 17 HRSD BOE agenda, the following rules apply:
- The deadline for filing nomination petitions to run for positions on the Hopewell Valley Regional Board of Education is 4pm, Monday, July 26, 2021.
- The following terms will be open on the Hopewell Valley Regional Board of Education at the November 2, 2021 Annual School Election:
Hopewell Township 2 Three-Year Terms
Pennington Borough 1 Three-Year Term
- The legal requirements to become a member of the Board of Education are as follows:
- He/she is a citizen of the United States of America.
- He/she must be at least 18 years of age to qualify for office.
- He/she is a registered voter in the district.
- He/she must be able to read and write.
- He/she has been a resident of Hopewell Township or Pennington Borough for at least one (1) year preceding the date of the election.
- He/she must not be directly/indirectly interested in any contract with or claim against the Board.
- He/she is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1.
- He/she is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1.
- State law requires that all school-board nominating petitions for the November election must be delivered to the Mercer County Clerk by 4pm on July 26, 2021, even though the clerk’s operating hours extend past that time. School-board nominating petitions for the November election cannot be returned to the local school district office.
Location: Mercer County Clerk’s Office Election Division, 209 S. Broad St., 2nd Floor, Room 202, Trenton, NJ 08608
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30pm to 4:30pm
Contact information: (609) 989-6494 or 6495
Nominating petitions are available for pickup at the Business Office of the Hopewell Valley Regional School District or through the Office of the Mercer County Clerk.
- New Jersey School Boards Association has posted the 2020 November Election Candidate Kit online on the NJSBA website. To access the kit click on the following link: NJSBA Candidates Kit.
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.