Hopewell Valley Central High School
This week, the Hopewell Valley Boys Swim team competed against Hightstown in their final meet of the regular season, winning 97-73. Joe Genovesi, Owen Seibold, Tyler Mac, and AJ Yadamiec placed first in the 200 medley relay (2:10.44), Chris Sawicki, Seibold, Alex Nicolai, and Alex Helmrich placed first in the 200 free relay (1:50.92), and Nicolai, Sawicki, Mac, and Helmrich placed first in the 400 free relay (4:06.35). In addition, Nicolai placed first in the 200 IM (2:28.31) and 400 free (4:36.41), and in the 100 breaststroke Seibold placed first (1:20.15) and Armaan Desai placed second (1:25.93). Overall, the meet included many great swims from all of the Bulldogs and raised their record to 7-6.
On Thursday, the boys participated in the Mercer County Tournament prelims, and several of them qualified for finals. In the 200 medley relay, Tyler Mac, Armaan Desai, Owen Seibold, and AJ Yadamiec placed 8th (2:09:88). In the 200 free, Alex Nicolai finished 7th (2:03.36) and Alex Helmrich placed 8th (2:04.49). Chris Sawicki placed 10th (26.26) in the 50 free, Nicolai finished 7th (1:03.14) in the 100 fly, and Helmrich placed 9th (4:30.49) in the 400 free. In the 100 back, Sawicki finished 10th (1:09.26), and in the 100 breaststroke, Owen Seibold placed 8th (1:15.04). In the 200 free relay, Nicolai, Sawicki, Seibold, and Helmrich finished 4th (1:45.21), and in the 400 free relay, Nicolai, Sawicki, Mac, and Helmrich placed 5th (3:54.67). Those that qualified will participate in the MCT finals on Monday, January 31. -Emilie Sawicki
The Hopewell Valley Girls Swim team had a very exciting week. On Monday, the Bulldogs swam their last dual meet of the regular season, defeating Hightstown by a score of 123-47. Individually, Amelie Bass placed first in the 200 meter freestyle (2:37.31) and the 100 meter butterfly (1:16.71), Anna Wurtz won the 100 meter breaststroke (1:34.29), May Hartog finished first in the 500 meter freestyle (5:31.30), Regan Sherman won the 200 meter Individual Medley (2:48.27), and Emilie Sawicki finished first in the 100 meter freestyle (1:09.18). Hopewell finished first in the 200 meter medley relay (Hartog, Sawicki, Bass, Ava D’Alessandro, 2:18.47), the 200 meter freestyle relay (Kelley Dwyer, D’Alessandro, Sherman, Bass, 2:06.17) and the 400 meter freestyle relay (Sherman, Dwyer, Sawicki, Hartog, 4:50.10).
On Friday the girls swam in the preliminary heats of the Mercer County Tournament; the finals of the tournament were postponed due to snow. The Bulldogs swam several great races:
· In the 200 meter freestyle, Regan Sherman placed 6th (2:21.06) to qualify for the A final, while Anna Wurtz finished 10th (2:29.67) to make the B final.
· Emilie Sawicki qualified for the B final in the 200 meter Individual Medley (2:43.22), placing 10th.
· In the 50 meter freestyle, Amelie Bass finished 3rd (28.06) and Ava D’Alessandro placed 7th (28.86), both making finals.
· Later, in the 100 meter freestyle Amelie Bass placed 3rd (1:02.80), and Ava D’Alessandro finished 7th (1:05.20), with both again making finals.
· In the 400 meter freestyle, Regan Sherman finished 4th (4:52.59) to make the A final, and Anna Wurtz placed 11th to make the B final (5:13.23).
· Lastly, Emilie Sawicki made the A final by placing 5th in the 100 meter breaststroke (1:20.11).
· Hopewell’s relay teams all made finals. The 200 meter medley relay placed 8th (May Hartog, Sawicki, Claire Christie, Kelley Dwyer, 2:17.32), the 200 meter freestyle relay finished 3rd (D’Alessandro, Sherman, Dwyer, Bass, 1:56.99), and the 400 meter freestyle relay placed 3rd (D’Alessandro, Sherman, Sawicki, Bass, 4:20.10).
The girls will swim in the Mercer County Tournament finals on Monday, then will get a break until the state tournament begins the following week. – Christopher Sawicki
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.