The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) in partnership with the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) and the South Jersey Transportation Authority (SJTA) announced today that it will be conducting an emergency evacuation exercise on Thursday, June 8 to practice and refine a response in the event of a major hurricane.
No roads will be closed during the drill.
However, motorists can expect to see an increased presence of State Police and NJDOT work crews along several highways and are advised to use caution on the following key Shore evacuation routes:
- Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
- Garden State Parkway (mile post 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor)
- I-195 (mile post 6 in Robbinsville to about mile post 34 in Wall)
- Route 72 (mile post 13.8 in Barnegat to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom)
- Route 47 (mile post 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
- Route 347 (mile post 0 in Dennis to about mile post 9 in Maurice River)
The main element of the exercise is preparing to set up a contra flow (reversing traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction) on these highways that serve as evacuation routes for the Jersey Shore. Crews will be staging cones, barrels, and message boards in designated locations along the side of these highways, but will not be deploying the materials. No roads will be closed during the drill.
As a reminder, it is unlawful for motorists, including media, to pull off to the side of the freeway for anything other than an emergency.
Variable message signs will notify motorists of the exercise while it is underway. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.