Only Short-Term Off-Peak Lane and Ramp Closures Needed Going Forward;
Project on Track to Reach Final Completion in May 2022
After 4-1/2 years of construction along a 4.4-mile-long stretch of I-295 in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement achieved “substantial completion” with the opening of the reconstructed access ramp from NJ Route 175/Upper River Road to I-295 South in Ewing, N.J.
The “substantial completion” construction milestone means all long-term uninterrupted lane and ramp closures are over for the project. Only short-term travel restrictions will be needed to complete remaining project tasks going forward.
The project has now shifted into its final stage of “punch list” work. Many of these tasks won’t involve travel restrictions. Among the major work items to be completed in coming months are: removal of the temporary in-river work platform on the Pennsylvania side; removal of bulkheads on the Pennsylvania side; completion of landscaping and riverbank restoration on the New Jersey side; installation of signage and guiderail on Route 175/Upper River Road and entry ramp onto I-295 SB in New Jersey; and installation of Welcome to Pennsylvania signage and completion of electronic traffic monitoring system on Pennsylvania side of I-295.
The project remains on track to reach its stipulated final completion date of May 27, 2022.
This will be the last weekly travel advisory issued for this project. Moving forward, only periodic travel advisories will be issued for this project on an as-needed basis.
- I-295 WB – Possible off-peak lane closures 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- I-295 SB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge NJ-Bound – Possible off-peak lane closures 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- Taylorsville Road – Right or left lane closures and/or flagging 9 a.m. to 6 a.m. (next day) Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- River Road/PA Route 32 – Brief traffic stoppages possible removal of in-river work platform 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
New Jersey side
- I-295 NB and the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge (PA-Bound) – Possible off-peak lane closures 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- I-295 SB – Possible off-peak lane closures 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- Route 29 SB Bypass Lane – Daytime closures with traffic diverted through adjacent interchange roundabouts, connector lane and ramps, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- Route 29 NB Bypass Lane – Possible short-term flagging and stoppages 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23.
- Route 175/Upper River Road and entry ramp to I-295 SB – Possible daytime closures 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, to Thursday, Dec. 23. Use nearby Route 29 as an alternate route and access I-295 SB via the southern roundabout at the I-295/Route 29 interchange.
All aforementioned scheduled travel restrictions are subject to change due to weather, emergencies, traffic, and equipment/materials mobilization. Motorists are urged to allow extra time to reach their destinations, reduce speeds and exercise caution when travelling through project work areas.
Weekends – No project-related lane closures are scheduled for the weekends of Dec. 18-19 and 25-26.
More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.