Tough-to-recycle items that would normally end up in a landfill will be accepted throughout the month of November by the Mercer County Park Commission’s Tulpehaking Nature Center. The recycling drive will be run in partnership with Mercer County Special Services School District, Soles4Souls, and Trex. Recycling bins will be set up at the nature center during open hours on Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm and Sundays from noon to 4pm.
Recyclers may drop off:
- Snack food bags and plastic bags from candy, chips, pretzels, cookies and energy bars. Plastic cereal bags, cracker sleeves, pet food or pet treat bags and any inner bags found inside cardboard boxes. Please do not include paper-fused packaging.
- All FOIL-lined energy bar wrappers such as Clif bars, etc.
- New or gently worn shoes with soles intact. No shoes that are wet and moldy, damaged beyond repair, cleats, roller blades, or ice skates.
Visitors to the nature center also may participate in the NexTrex Challenge, which will take place from November to May. In this challenge, the nature center aims to collect 500 pounds of plastic and film bags (about 40,500 bags). Help achieve this goal by bringing in the following items:
- #2 grocery bags, bread bags, dry-cleaning bags, ice bags, produce bags, salt bags, wood pellet bags, zip-lock and other re-closable food storage bags.
- Bubble wrap, newspaper sleeves, plastic shipping envelopes, case overwrap, pallet wrap and stretch film.
The nature center will host simple, hands-on projects for turning old items into new treasures with reclaimed material during its regular open hours. The Tulpehaking Nature Center is located at 157 Westcott Ave., Hamilton, NJ 08610. It is open Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 4 pm and Sundays from noon to 4pm
The nature center provides programs and exhibits that encourage visitors to explore and discover the many cultural, historic and natural resources of the Abbott Marshlands. It is owned by the County of Mercer and operated by the Mercer County Park Commission. For more information about the nature center, programs and schedule of events, visit www.mercercountyparks.org.