New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a temporary full closure and detour of Route 206 during daytime hours in Princeton for utility work in advance of the rehabilitation of the Route 206 Bridges over Stony Brook.
Beginning on March 29 and continuing every day through April 5, Route 206 in Princeton will be closed in both directions near the Stony Brook Bridges between Lovers Lane and Carter Road to allow PSE&G to relocate wires to new utility poles. The road will be detoured from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day for approximately seven days to perform the work. Access will be maintained on Route 206 for local traffic only up to the bridge in both directions.
Due to the condition of the existing bridges at the Stony Brook, temporary concrete barrier curb was placed for safety, which narrows the roadway. To ensure safety to the motoring public and PSE&G workers, the road needs to be closed and detoured so PSE&G may safely setup a work zone for the aerial relocation.
There has been a signed truck detour in place for vehicles weighing more than 20 tons since the emergency repairs were done in February 2016, and it will remain in place throughout construction for the permanent repairs. During this temporary daytime closure for the utility relocation, there also will be detours in place for trucks over 4 tons and for cars.
Car Detour (March 29 – April 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Northbound – From Route 206 north, traffic will be directed to take a left on Carter Road, right on Rosedale Road, and then a right on Elm Road back to Route 206
- Southbound – From Route 206 south, traffic will be directed to take a left on Lovers Lane, right on Mercer Road, and a right on Hutchinson Drive back to Route 206.
Truck detour over 4 tons (March 29 – April 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Northbound – From Route 206 north, turn left on Carter Road, then right on County Route 518 back to Route 206.
- Southbound – From Route 206 south, turn right on County Route 518, then left at Route 31 South to I-95 north back to Route 206.
Truck detour over 20 Tons (regional) – in place now
- Northbound – From Route 206 north take I-95 south to Route 31 north to Route 202 north back to Route 206 at the Somerville Circle.
- Southbound – From Route 206 south take Route 202 south at the Somerville Circle to Route 31 south to I-95 north back to Route 206.
Portable and overhead variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.
We need your support.
If MercerMe is your go-to source for local news, please support us! Our readers and advertising partners are necessary to keep the news coming.
Hyperlocal, independent, reliable, and digital, MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. We’re community connected.
Click here to subscribe today!