As Heating Season Begins, Know Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

The Mercer County Division of Public Health and Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes remind residents of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning as another heating season begins.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is the by-product of incomplete combustion of a fuel. Hundreds of people die each year nationwide from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, but most deaths could be prevented through greater awareness and education.

Common sources of carbon monoxide are a malfunctioning or incorrectly vented furnace, hot water heater, space heater, fireplace, cooking stove, or other type of fuel-burning equipment. Misusing a charcoal grill or a cooking stove to warm a house and leaving a car, van or truck running in an attached or integral garage are other possible carbon monoxide sources.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the “silent killer” because it can gradually cause a person to become unconscious and eventually die. That is why it is important to have carbon monoxide detectors which can provide early warning of a problem. Additionally, furnaces and fireplaces should be cleaned and inspected before each heating season.

The Health Office strongly encourages the use of carbon monoxide detectors. They are extremely helpful and can be purchased at most stores that carry home supplies. They can be lifesavers. Even so, detectors are no substitute for regular furnace maintenance; as with any device, they could malfunction or the batteries die.

Carbon monoxide poisoning may include any of the following symptoms: headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, rapid heartbeat, loss of hearing, blurry vision, vomiting, disorientation, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. Carbon monoxide poisoning often mimics common illnesses such as the flu and food poisoning. However, anyone who believes they are experiencing these symptoms due to carbon monoxide poisoning should leave the premises and immediately call 911.

Everyone is at risk, but individuals with health problems such as heart or lung diseases, the elderly, infants, children and pregnant women are especially vulnerable.

New Jersey residents seeking immediate information about treating poison emergencies, and those with any drug information questions, should call the toll-free hot line, 800-222-1222, any time. The hearing impaired may call 973-926-8008. For more information, visit or call 973-972-9280. To learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning, visit

If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.

To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.