Princeton Police has reported that it has received multiple reports of a black bear in the areas of Bunn Drive and Autumn Hill Road.
The following are tips to void attracting bears:
- Secure your trash in bear resistant garbage containers or with tight fitting lids to reduce odors.
- Clean any food scraps from grills porches and decks, and keep meet scraps out of compost piles.
- Pets should not be fed outdoors unless absolutely necessary.
- Immediately remove all uneaten food and bowls used by pets fed outdoors (NO food after dark).
- Never hang bird feeders in easy to reach locations (feeders should be at least 10 feet in the air).
- Put out garbage on collection day, not the night before. Wash garbage containers with disinfectant to remove odors.
- Secure beehives, livestock, and fruit crops with electric fence.
Residents should report bear damage, nuisance behavior or aggressive bears to the DEP Hotline at 1-877-WARN-DEP (877-927-6337) and their local police department. Additional bear information can be found at http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2016/16_0028.htm.
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us!
Want to keep the news coming? Leave us a tip to make this financially possible!
You must log in to post a comment.