This applies to home owners with 2019 AGI less than $250,000 or tenants with 2019 AGI less than $150,000
New Jersey residents soon will receive filing information mailers for the 2019 ANCHOR – Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters – property tax relief program. The ANCHOR program replaces the Homestead Benefit program and expands the amount of property tax relief while also boosting eligibility to twice as many homeowners and including tenants, once again. The deadline for filing an ANCHOR application is Friday, December 30, 2022.
The State Division of Taxation will begin sending mailers to tenants and homeowners by county on the following dates:
Burlington, Mercer, Hunterdon September 12
Essex, Atlantic September 14
Bergen, Warren September 16
Salem, Ocean, Sussex September 19
Gloucester, Hudson, Cumberland September 21
Monmouth, Somerset September 23
Union, Passaic September 26
Middlesex, Cape May September 28
Camden, Morris September 30
Please do not call about a missing mailer until at least two weeks after the expected delivery date for a county.
The Division will email 2019 ANCHOR program filing information to homeowners who had requested their 2019 application be sent through email when they filed their 2018 Homestead Benefit application. The emails are issued following the mailing schedule above.
Eligible homeowners are encouraged to file applications online or by phone. However, some homeowners will be required to file a paper application. All eligible tenants can file online or by completing a paper application. However, we encourage online filing and tenants have no phone option.
The online application, filing instructions, and paper applications can be accessed at nj.gov/taxation.
The automated telephone filing system will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, during the filing period at 1 (877) 658-2972.
To be eligible, homeowners must have:
• Been a New Jersey resident; and
• Owned and occupied a home in New Jersey that was their principal residence (main home) on October 1, 2019; and
• Paid the 2019 property taxes on their main home; and
• Had 2019 New Jersey gross income of not more than $250,000.
To be eligible, tenants must have:
• Been a New Jersey resident; and
• Rented and occupied an apartment or residence in New Jersey that was their principal residence (main home) on October 1, 2019; and
• Lived in a unit with its own separate kitchen and bath facilities (if the building had more than one dwelling unit); and
• Paid rent on their main home, which was subject to local property taxes; and
• Had 2019 New Jersey gross income of not more than $150,000.
Applicants will choose to receive their benefits either as a check or direct deposit.
• General online information: nj.gov/treasury/taxation/anchor/index.shtml
• Homeowners file applications by phone: 1 (877) 658-2972
• Homeowners file applications online: nj.gov/treasury/taxation/anchor/home-file.shtml
• Tenants file online: nj.gov/treasury/taxation/anchor/tenant.shtml
• To ask questions: 1 (888) 238-1233
• In-person assistance at Taxation Regional Information Centers. For faster service, we strongly recommend making an appointment: nj.gov/treasury/taxation/contact.shtml
Text Telephone Service (TTY/TDD) for hearing-impaired users: 1 (800) 286-6613 or (609) 984-7300.
Taxation email address for ANCHOR: NJ.Anchor@treas.nj.gov.
Taxation email for general tax questions: email@example.com.
Thanks to Assemblywoman Verlina Reynolds-Jackson for sharing this information.
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.