Hopewell Township Health Happenings contains news and events from Hopewell Township’s Health Department regarding the health of the community.
10 Things You May Not Know About the Library. Wednesday, August 15, 10:00am, HV Senior Center, 395 Reading Street, Pennington. For those who think the library is going the way of the dodo bird, last year, the Mercer County Library System’s Hopewell Branch circulated over 204, 000 materials and welcomed 1.3 million visitors into the branch. Additionally, the library held over 320 adult programs for approximately 2,900 community members and over 800 programs, which approximately 14,000 children attended. Join Reference Librarian, Anna Van Scoyoc, as she outlines events and resources available within the facility, as well as what patrons can access from the comforts of their own homes.
“It Starts with the Feet” – Footwear for exercise and how to avoid common injuries Wednesday, August 15, 5:30pm, Hunt House Barn, Mercer Meadows, 197 Blackwell Road, and Pennington. Join DR. KIMBERLY LEVITT, board certified family medicine physician at Capital Health Primary Care – Quakerbridge; BRIAN ROSENER, manager of Princeton Running Company; and STEVEN BANKS, physical therapist from Capital Health’s Rehabilitation Services Department to learn more about proper footwear for various exercises and how making the right choices can help avoid injuries. After, join DR. JILL YOUNG, board certified family medicine physician at Capital Health Primary Care – Quakerbridge and trustee of the Lawrence Hopewell Trail, who will lead a 2-3 mile hike into Mercer Meadows Pole Farm. THIS EVENT IS FREE.
Osteoporosis, Wednesday, August 22, 10:00am, Hopewell Valley Senior Center, 395 Reading Street, Pennington. Dr. Marc T. Chianese from Your Health Now LLC returns with a presentation on osteoporosis and falling. For adults over the age of 65, falls are the leading cause of fatal injuries and the most common cause of non fatal trauma in the ER. At the presentation you will learn what osteoporosis is, complicating factors, and ways to help your body function better. Whether you have chronic pain, an acute injury, or are simply not satisfied with your current level of health, come and learn how to improve yourself. It’s never too early or too late to get healthier. If you want something you don’t have, you need to change what you’re doing. Learn how.
Babysitting Class, Wednesday, August 22 from 9am-4pm at theHopewell Township Municipal Building. Fee $35.00.Call 609-394-4153 or visit www.capitalhealth.org/events to register.
HEADACHES: When Over-the-Counter Medicines Aren’t Enough, Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell NJ PURE Conference Center, One Capital Way, Pennington, NJ 08534. We all get headaches. But sometimes, over-the-counter pain relievers are not enough. Learn more from neurologist and board certified headache medicine specialist, DR. MITRA ASSADI, director of Capital Health’s Headache Center, part of the Capital Institute for Neurosciences. Dr. Assadi will discuss various types of headaches, what can cause them and the different treatment options for controlling them and relieving the pain.Call 609-394-4153 or visit www.capitalhealth.org/events to register.
Blood Pressure Screenings
- Tuesday, August 7, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.,Blood Pressure. Senior Center, 395 Reading Street, Pennington. Bring your own machine and we can make sure it is working properly.
- Tuesday, August 21, 10:00 a.m. – 12 noon, Blood Pressure Blood Glucose screening (fasting or 2 hour post for accurate result). Lower Level, Hopewell Township Municipal Building. Bring your own blood pressure machine and we can make sure it is working properly.
- Mondays and Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m., Ongoing classes to build bone strength and prevent osteoporosis. Court Room, Hopewell Township Municipal Building. Space is limited. Call 537-0236 to sign up and confirm enrollment in the class.
Contact/Location: Hopewell Township Health Department, 201 Washington Crossing Pennington Road, Titusville NJ 08560. 609-737-0120. Vital records 609-737-0120 x 684 www.hopewelltwp.org
Links to Health Services in Mercer County:
- Greater Mercer Public Health Partnership – http://healthymercer.org/
- Capital Health http://www.capitalhealth.org
- Penn Medicine Princeton Health http://www.princetonhcs.org
- Robert Wood Johnson Hospital http://www.rwjhamilton.org
- St. Francis Medical Center http://www.stfrancismedical.com
If you rely on MercerMe for your local news, please support us.
To keep the news coming, we rely on support from subscribers and advertising partners. Hyperlocal, independent, and digital — MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. Subscribe today.