The 29th Annual Hopewell Harvest Fair was held on Saturday, Sept. 26, on the grounds of the Hopewell Elementary School in Hopewell Borough. The Fair featured 6 contests, with something for everyone, from a bake-off to photography contests, Find Freddy human scavenger hunt and even a contest for man’s best friend.
“The Hopewell Harvest Fair Board of Trustees would like to extend special thanks to all the contest participants and the contest chairs who helped to make these contests possible,” said Rebecca Coyle, Hopewell Harvest Fair 2015 Planning Chair.
BAKE OFF CONTEST:
The bake-off contest, chaired by Cristin Timoney, is the most delicious competition of the Harvest Fair where bakers showed off their talents in a variety of categories. Be on the look out for these delicious recipes in the 2016 Hopewell Harvest Fair Almanac!
Kids (12 and under) – Brownies or Blondies
- 1st – Cherry Cream Cheese Brownies by Stephanie Hickman
- 2nd – Dark Chocolate Disaster Brownies by Sara Petrillo
- 3rd – S’mores Brownies by Emilie & Christopher Sawicki
Adults – Cookies (Rolled Out or Shaped)
- 1st – Hermit Cookies by Samantha McCraw
- 2nd – Pumpkin Spice Cutout Cookies by Mary Kolb
- 3rd – Pumpkin Cookies: The Last Hoorah by Kate Cammarano & Taylor Galgano
Adults – Awesome Apple Recipe
- 1st – Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars by Samantha McCraw
- 2nd – Apple Praline Bundt Cake by Nancy Kennedy
- 3rd – Polish Apple Cake by Melissa Drift
Celebrating the true meaning of “harvest,” the Homegrown Contest allows local gardeners to exhibit the bounty of their gardens through a variety of categories that change each year. Janice Schroeder chaired the Homegrown Contest this year.
- 1st – Joann Caiazzo
- 2nd – Emilie Sawicki
- 1st – Squash and potato
- 1st – Elliott Webber Scully – Pumpkin
- 2nd -Elizabeth Downie – Pumpkin
- 1st – Emilie Sawicki – Cherry Tomato
- 1st –Large Tomatoes
KIDS’ ART & LEGO CONTEST
These contests are open to children from Pre-Kindergarten age up to 12th grade. While the participants are offered suggested themes, imagination is the key! The Kids’ Art & Lego Contest Chair for 2015 was Susan Pollara.
Kids’ Art Contests Winners
- 1st:Zachary Wolff
- Grades 2-3
- 1st: Kevin Patrillo
- 2nd: Abram Wojciechowicz
- Grades 4-5
- 1st: Amelia Ghannam
- 2nd: Jonah Wojciechowicz; Elizabeth Downie
- 3rd: Sara Patrillo; Zarina Cohan
- Grades 6-8
- 1st: Sophia Chin
- 2nd: Olivia Levin
- 3rd: Christopher Yeh
Kids’ Lego Contest Winners
- 1st: Ian Downie
- Grades K-1
- 1st: Austin Baker
- 2nd: Peter Marshall
- 3rd: Keiran Kirby
- Grades 2-5
- 1st: Elliott Weber Scully and Max Baker
- 2nd: Leo Rothman and Justin Jamison
- 3rd: Sarah Jean Daniels and Elizabeth Downie
- Honorable Mention: CJ Vickers, Max Pollara
- Grades 6-8
- 1st: Sam Mangio
- 2nd: Riley Altobello
- 3rd: Cec Marshall
If you are a hobbyist, enthusiast, technical perfectionist or creative artistic photographer, the Photography Contest is your place to shine! Ribbon prizes are awarded to the Adult and Youth Winners in a number of categories. Sarah Fuller once again chaired the Photography Contest this year.
- 1st: Sal Petruzelli Marino, Rory Nachbar, Brian Tighe, Chris Tighe, Heidi Wilenius, Youth: Sagan T
- 2nd: Phillip Altobelli, Vicki Marguiles, Sal Petruzelli Marino, Rory Nachbar, Chris Tighe, Youth: Dominic G, Sagan T
- 3rd: Michelle Ancil, Laura Bowen, Vicki Marguiles, Brian Tighe, Youth: Anna P, Maia W
- 1st: Laura Bowen, Christina Loutfi, Sal Petruzelli Marino, Rory Nachbar, Brian Tighe, Chris Tighe, Linda Willimer, Youth: Anna P, Alex S,
- 2nd: Phillip Altobelli, Vicki Marguiles, Sal Petruzelli Marino, Jeff Scozzafava, Chris Tighe, Linda Willimer, Youth: Alex S , Maia W
- 3rd: Michelle Ancil, Laura Bowen, Vicki Marguiles, Brian Tighe , Heidi Wilenius
- 1st: Christina Loutfi , Vicki Marguiles, Sal Petruzelli Marino, Youth: Maia W
- 2nd: Phillip Altobelli, Laura Bowen, Rory Nachbar, Brian Tighe, Chris Tighe, Heidi Wilenius, Youth: Dominic G
- 3rd: Phillip Altobelli, Laura Bowen, Vicki Marguiles , Sal Petruzelli Marino, Fran Scozzafava, Brian Tighe, Chris Tighe, Linda Willimer, Youth: Alex S
- 1st: Phillip Altobelli, Jeff Scozzafava, Brian Tighe Youth: Sagan T, Alex S
- 2nd: Christina Loutfi, Vicki Marguiles, Chris Tighe, Youth: Anna P, Maia W
- 3rd: Melissa D., Vicki Marguiles, Rory Nachbar, Brian Tighe , Heidi Wilenius, Youth: Anna P
- 1st: Sal Petruzelli Marino, Brian Tighe, Chris Tighe, Youth: Maia Wilenius
- 2nd: Phillip Altobelli, Christina Loutfi, Vicki Marguiles, Rory Nachbar, Brian Tighe, Youth: Dominic G
- 3rd: Phillip Altobelli, Laura Bowen, Vicki Marguiles, Chris Tighe, Heidi Wilenius Youth: Alex B, Anna P, Alex S,
- 1st: Chris Tighe, Youth: Dominic G, Alex S
- 2nd: Vicki Marguiles , Chris Tighe Youth: Alex S, Maia W
- 3rd: Vicki Marguiles
A human scavenger hunt, chaired by Heidi Wilenius, has been a Hopewell Harvest Fair tradition for many years. The object of the hunt is to find Freddy the Frog and as many of his friends as possible in one hour. Both the clues (who dress up as any type of “character” they’d like) and the contestants, who search out the clues across the Harvest Fairgrounds, have a blast!
- 1st (30 finds) – Ben & Max Pollara, Hopewell
- 2nd (27 finds, 1st to return) – Rachel & Alyssa Springer, Hopewell
- 3rd (27 finds, 3rd to return) – Sophia Chin, Hopewell
- 1st (30 finds) – Owen, Abbey & Laurie Stewart, Hopewell
- 2nd (29 finds, 6th to return) – Riley & Erin Harsell, Pennington
- 3rd (29 finds, 7th to return) – Mackenzie & John Harsell, Pennington
- 1st (Found all 31!) – Lorraine & Jack Seabrook, Hopewell
- 2nd (29 finds, 1st to return) – Keith & Chris Stewart, Hopewell
- 3rd (29 finds, 5th to return) – Janet Mills, Pennington
- Most Stunningly Sensational Character: Vivian Smyth, Dark Cinderella (Trenton) Most
- Radically Ridiculous Character: Marilyn Bregenzer, Sylvester & His Friends (Hopewell)
- Most Fantastically Fabulous Character: Rory Nachbar, Devil with a Blue Dress On (Titusville)
- Most Cleverly Created Character – Dana Varhley, The Whole 9 Yards
DOGGIE DRESSUP CONTEST
Not to forget our furry friends, costumed dogs were judged on a variety of factors, on their costumes and then participated in a parade around the Fair!
- 1st – Elsa (Tutu Fairy), Bella (SuperGirl)
- 2nd – Zeus (Bad Dog); Sasha (Butterfly)
- 3rd – Banjo (Lobster)
The Harvest Fair Contests provide the community a fun way to showcase talents and add even more fun and excitement to an already fun day! If you are interested in helping bring one of these contests to life or helping develop a new contest, the Harvest Fair Board would like to hear from you: email@example.com. And mark your calendars now for the 2016 fair — the 30th Annual – Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016!
We need your support.
If MercerMe is your go-to source for local news, please support us! Our readers and advertising partners are necessary to keep the news coming.
Hyperlocal, independent, reliable, and digital, MercerMe has been providing Hopewell Valley its news since 2013. We’re community connected.
Click here to subscribe today!